Can Dogs Eat Grapes

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Dogs often find human food so appealing that they will do almost anything to get a bite. Unfortunately, that’s how a lot of pets end up in the emergency vet clinic due to accidental poisoning.

What’s worse, people often don’t react in time because they are not aware of the risks, and they leave dangerous food on the table unattended.

Let’s take grapes, for example. Do you know if your dog can eat grapes? Well, then keep on reading to find the answer.

Can dogs eat grapes?

No, no, and no. Dogs should not ever eat grapes, and you should keep these fruits away from your pet if Rover shows interest in them.

Unlike other fruits like apples and bananas, grapes are high​​​​ly toxic to dogs in all their forms. Some studies suggest that symptoms of toxicity appear after ingestion of 32 grams of grapes/10-30 grams of raisins per body weight. However, even small amounts of grapes can cause symptoms.

What’s curious is that scientists still don’t know why dogs have such a strong reaction to grapes, and they haven’t been able to isolate the toxic substance. But they warn that it’s not safe for dogs to consume grapes in any kind – peeled, dried, or seedless because the toxicity is in the flesh of the fruit.

Ingesting grape might be even life-threatening because it leads to acute kidney failure. In other words, your dog’s kidneys stop working, they can’t filter the waste properly, and they stop producing urine.

As a result, toxins build-up in the body and start to poison your pet slowly. Without medical intervention, your pet is not going to last long because the kidneys are essential for the proper function of the whole organism.

However, you should also know that some dogs are not affected by grapes as strongly as others and don’t develop kidney failure. That’s why some dog owners might think that it’s all right to feed grapes to a dog based on previous experience.

But you should never risk it under no circumstances.

What are the symptoms of grape toxicity?

The symptoms of grape toxicity are similar to those you might expect when a pet ingest toxic substances. I’m talking about:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Excessive thirst
  • Lack of appetite
  • Reduced urine production
  • Tremors
  • Seizures

Depending on how many grapes your dog has eaten, symptoms appear in 6-12 hours. And in 1-3 days acute kidney failure will develop. Then you might notice:

  • Lethargy
  • Disorientation
  • Lack of coordination
  • Increased/decreased urine production
  • Increased/decreased thirst

It’s imperative that you get your dog to the vet even if you suspect that Rover might have eaten grapes. Once the kidneys have been damaged severely, they can’t be repaired.

What If Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?

The immediate treatment for grape poisoning is to induce vomiting. However, that’s effective if no more than two hours have passed after the ingestion. In addition to this, vomiting should not be induced if the dog:

  • Is unconscious or in shock
  • Has trouble breathing
  • Seems in great distress
  • Is showing symptoms of poisoning
  • You’re not sure what Rover has eaten

If Rover has eaten some grapes, your first business is to remain calm. Then, call your veterinarian immediately for advice. He will tell you whether to induce vomiting or not based on your dog’s overall health and amount of ingested grapes.

If your vet says to induce vomiting, here’s how to do it:

  • Get 3% hydrogen peroxide and measure 05.-1 millimeter per pound of body weight. The maximum dose is 45-50 ml, even if your dog weighs more than 45 pounds. 
  • Use a syringe to squirt the peroxide into your dog’s mouth.
  • Wait 15 minutes and see if the dog vomits.
  • If nothing happens, administer a second dose after consulting with your vet. 
  • Do not use hydrogen peroxide more than two times.

No matter if your dog vomits or not, you must take him to a clinic as soon as possible. The vet will administer treatment to combat the poison and prevent kidney damage. You can’t deal with grape poisoning at home no matter what you read over the Internet.

What other common foods are toxic to dogs?

Unfortunately, grapes are not the only human food that could harm your dog. You should add these to the list:

  • Chocolate because it contains theobromine, which is toxic for both dogs and cats
  • Onion/garlic lead to the destruction of red blood cells and anemia
  • Cherries
  • Chewing gum
  • Cooked bones because they splinter easily and might damage the intestines
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Salt/sugar

Grapes are a tasty treat for humans, but they can be very dangerous for dogs. Keep them away from your dog and take Rover to the vet immediately for treatment.

If you insist on including fruits in his diet, you can try apples, bananas, or blueberries. However, speak with your vet first if your dog has a medical condition.

What do you think about this topic? Did you know that grapes and raisins are toxic for dogs? Have you ever had to deal with grape toxicity? Tell us in the comments.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.